Sunday, January 17, 2010

"We are Family"-I Heart Faces Contest

This week's theme at I Heart Faces is "We are Family." At first I thought I wouldn't have anything to enter for this contest because I haven't taken many pictures that would fit in this category. (PS-I can't wait to have kids so I can take all the cute photos that you all do!) :)  Then it hit me-When Raymond and I moved to Kansas City we had very few family members around! Thank goodness for his Uncle Larry, Aunt Mary, and cousins Elizabeth, Andy, Dan, Carolyn, and the kids. Almost 1 year ago today (1-26-09), Raymond had a seizure while working. He is a police officer.  It was then that we realized we do have family closer than we thought-just not the traditional form. Each one of these men who were working that morning (plus one not pictured) showed up at the hospital and sat with us while we went through the most terrifying day of our lives last year. They made sure to call me at home the moment something went wrong, made sure I got to the hospital safely, and made me laugh when all I wanted to do was fall apart. Throughout the year they and their wives have become some of our closest friends. As I reflect back on the last year, I am so thankful we had them in addition to all of our long-distance support (I love you all too!). The I Heart Faces contest doesn't limit us to a traditional family photo-so, although it isn't artistic or dramatic, here is my entry for the week. This is Raymond's squad-our family outside of our family.














37 comments:

  1. That is one awesome family! I think I would feel very safe with all of those guys around... :<) And they sound like an awesome group of friends, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is a GREAT idea! I love it! Very cool image! And I love that our family doesn't always have to be blood! Sometimes they can be heart related : ), right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! what a wonderful story to go along with a beautiful picture! what a blessing these men have been as family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true... there are many different types of family and this is definitely one very important kind. =) Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a sweet story, and a great "family"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. brings tears to my eyes. bless these special men...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! A family outside your family is very important! I know because my family is in Canada, but I also have another family here in Southern California!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was so heart-warming! I'm glad you thought outside the traditional to share this special photo. What a blessing to be surrounded by such caring men!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful photo to pick for this week's theme. Loved your entry!

    ~Angie
    co-founder of I Heart Faces

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! Very touching. My brother is a police officer and the bond they have is amazing. He's driven hours in the past to represent his his force at funerals of fallen officers that they didn't even know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We live away from our blood family, so I agree it is nice to have "family" away from family! Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This entry made me cry. Sometimes our closest *family* are ties not of blood. What a beautiful picture to go with a touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! Good job for thinking outside the box!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a police wife as well... and I love this shot its sooo true!!!! I am glad that your husband was ok.. I couldn't imagine having that call.. so scarey!!!! & I do love how in a time like that.. they do take care of the wives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful! Definitely a true family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a police wife as well... so I can totally relate to this shot.. I love it.. its great.. I am so sorry that you had the call... I am glad that everything was ok with your husband! isn't it great how well they take of the wives in moments like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story. Sometimes our "chosen" family ends up being closer than "blood" family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's one beautiful family! Such a wonderful story and photo of people with good hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the story behind the family picture:) Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a wonderful family that definitly has your back!
    Fantastic "Family" photo..

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a great idea. Good picture

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful story! I know the definition of family is so much more than the people who are bonded by blood.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So wonderful! Look like really nice guys. I am so glad you have such wonderful support.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Most likely the best family out there!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great photo and great story!

    ReplyDelete