Wednesday, January 20, 2010

1-20-10

20 Days in and I haven't missed a beat! =) This is the longest NY resolution I have kept. The picture I took today is of a new kitchen "appliance". Sgt. Lalli and his wife, Debbie, were getting rid of this machine which makes homemade peanut butter. For those of you who know me well, you know that peanut butter is not my favorite thing. Raymond likes it though! It takes a large amount of peanuts to get this small container, but, I've been told it is yummy. We have laughed a lot while making it.




I also wanted to add something from our small group session through my church today. Have I mentioned how much I cherish the friendships Raymond and I have made in this group? We started a new study last week-The Parables of Jesus. Tonight we looked into Luke 7:36-50. This is the parable about the moneylender who forgave two debts-one large, one small. Which one loved him more?


The study asked us to examine our lives tonight, in the context of these versus. Simon has invited Jesus over to his house for dinner but is disrespectful. In the scripture, Simon publicly shames Jesus by not performing ritual greetings (kissing, washing feet, and anointing with oil).

A woman whose sins have been forgiven sees this and comes to Jesus. It was considered sinful to be so engaging with a man other than your husband. She begins to wash Jesus' feet with her tears, hair, and perfume. The women did not care that she was breaking social norms and unlike Simon was humble enough to admit she needed the grace of God. She was so thankful for her sins being forgiven-her love proof of this.

Simon waits for Jesus to react as it was expected that Jesus would expel the woman. Simon was hoping for failure. Instead Jesus poses the above parable, showing that Simon had little to be forgiven for so his appreciation was little in comparision to the woman living a life of shame.

When you meet someone, the book poses, will you be the Simon or the woman? Do you feel that your life merits applause for the good things you do, so much that you forget your need for grace? Or, are you so humble that you feel the urgency to share thanks with your Savior, and extend forgiveness to other sinners like you?


Hmm...I bet we all have work to do.


2 comments:

  1. I love the woman's devotion she shows to Jesus in this story. It is beautiful example of showing Jesus your desperate need of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please copy this. I want to do a link up for Thankful Thursday and I don't know how. I take it as a compliment any time someone copies me!

    ReplyDelete